Years 8 and 9
Learning to Question
At Co-op Academy Southfield, years 8 and 9 of the curriculum is based on 6 key areas of learning:
- Communication and Literacy: Speaking & listening, Reading & Writing
- Cognition & Thinking skills: Number skills, Money & Time
- Me and My Body: PSD, PE, Swimming, Dance, Outdoor Learning
- Creative and Collaborative: The Arts & Music
- How the World Works: ICT and Life Skills
- People and Places: Local Geography & Important People in our lives
How the curriculum is delivered
The delivery of the curriculum is in a holistic, fun and student centred way and progress of their learning is rigorously assessed using a range of methods.
Speaking, listening, reading, writing and number are assessed, individual’s progress is tracked and next steps set using the National Assessment tool of P-levels/National Curriculum Levels.
As a school we strive to give every student the opportunity to develop confidence, resilience and independence. In order to achieve this all students have a personal learning plan that we have named a ‘Southfield Learning Intention Map’ (SLIM’s).
Progress made in their SLIM’s is tracked weekly and measured using MAPP (Measuring and Assessing Personal Progress.) This ensures that all students receive a curriculum that is relevant to support their development into Confident, Resilient and Independent young adults.
To ensure a broad and balanced curriculum we have an innovative 2 Year rolling programme of topics with cross curriculum links and links to the whole school PSD curriculum.